Apr 24, 2012 at 12:07 AM
In order for people to pick up and quickly learn what pattern toolkits are and how to build them, we need a series of videos that show the basics. Once, this series is available, we can work on other HowTo's for specific feature and functions of toolkits.
But initially we need a core set to get people started with looking at the basic tooling.The videos should be a short as possible, with little preamble, demonstrate the idea, and then explore what is available to improve the technique. The idea of the video
is to not only demonstrate a specific feature of toolkits, but expose the other options or techniques that toolkit builders should be aware of as well.
The core set of videos should include:
- How to install VSPAT
- How to create a new 'Pattern Toolkit' project
- How to create a 'sketch' pattern model, include icons, cardinality, autocreate, properties, default values, etc.
- How to unfold a project template (with some content), name the template, and enable navigation to it, provide substitutions within it from pattern model.
- How to generate code/configuration files, name the generated file, enable navigation, and alter the content of the file from values in the pattern model.
- How to create guidance, associate it to the pattern model, and customize its title and usage.
- How to create a wizard with multiple pages, enable validation, control simple layout, and run a post-command
- How to provide a custom menu that runs a command, and make it conditional on property values.
- How to add validation rules, make them conditional, and setup validation execution in the model.
- How to calculate a property value, based on other properties.
- How to create lookup list for a property, for static items, from elements in the pattern model
- How to create a custom command that queries data in Windows.
- How to troubleshoot a toolkit with tracing window, custom automation tracing, turning up tracing level.