Tabs or Bloody Spaces?

Coordinator
Feb 12, 2013 at 6:49 PM
Edited Feb 20, 2013 at 9:08 PM
This is constantly annoying me!
Throughout the history of this project we have argued over tabs versus spaces indenting files.
I am constantly reminded when doing file diffs and merges, and by the Productivity Power Tools extension, when it reminds me that I have a file with mixed tabs and spaces - and prompts me to fix it.
I dont want mixed, I want consistency!

Changing default editor in VS settings annoys me because we all work in several environments, switching constantly between installations of VS, so staying as close to the editor defaults make the most sense. I dont want to forget a specific setting each installation. And is this so important that we have to use shared profiles everywhere?

Lets resolve this once and for all: agree to use the same setting across the code, identify what options to use in VS and GIT and move forward.
  1. Decide:
  2. Insert Spaces
  3. Keep Tabs
Identify settings in VS to enforce this.
Identify the settings in GIT to enforce this.
Coordinator
Feb 12, 2013 at 6:50 PM
Edited Feb 20, 2013 at 9:13 PM
I prefer 'Keep Tabs', maybe its a legacy thing,

But more than my preference for comfort, I want to stay close to the defaults in VS - which is to 'Insert Spaces'. Because it is the default for VS, I think this would make things easier for everyone not to deviate from that just becuase of one persons preference.

[Update] The setting that controls this is found in: Tools | Options -> Text Editor -> All Languages -> Tabs
And I am still not confident which setting in 'GIT for Windows' we should be using!?! (autocrlf=true ????)